Thick hair has long been one of the most desirable attributes – and many women would give anything to have thick, voluminous tresses like yours. Embrace your mane while making it more manageable with these super flattering haircuts for thick hair of any length and texture!
Having a hairstyle that suits your hair type, face shape and complexion is truly the key to owning your style. It’ll make you feel confident and highlight your best features while minimizing the time you spend taking care of your thick locks.
And now we have compiled a list of the most flattering hairstyles for thick hair! Get ready to find your ideal cut – maybe even a few. After all, thick hair is versatile and can be turned into a variety of stunning looks!
1. Face-Framing Layers. When we think of the best hairstyles for thick hair, an image of long straight hair almost immediately pops into our mind. Upgrade it with face-framing bangs – and you’ve got a winning hairstyle.
2. Medium Shag Haircut. There’s nothing we love more than modern shag haircuts! They’re low-maintenance, and incredibly spontaneous. While shag haircuts are often used by those with fine hair to add volume – there’s no reason gals with thick hair can’t enjoy them too!
By Cherin Choi
3. Long Layers. Another fantastic hairstyle for those keen to keep their hair long. Adding short and long layers will stop your hair from falling flat – and accentuate the soft waves.
4. Sophisticated Pixie. Pixie haircuts are just perfect for ladies with thick hair, because they minimize styling time – as well as subtly reveal how lush your hair is.
5. Smoky Mauve Bob. Not a fan of silver, but would like to experiment with color? Mauve deserves to be at the top of your list!
By Cherin Choi
6. Medium-Length Choppy Haircut. Make your thick hair less bulky with a chopped medium-length haircut. This hairstyle for thick hair features disconnected layers with jagged ends. The style of the cut and highlights make the hair appear absolutely weightless. The balayage brightens it, giving it lightness and glitz.
7. Thick Hair Cut with Highlighted Waves. This haircut for thick wavy hair is stunning. The dimension, gloss, sleekness, and length… Everything about this hairstyle screams – sophistication! Don’t even get us started on those captivating ripples. Or should we talk about the exotic feel the chestnut-brown balayage adds to the dark brunette hair? Good to know this hair can be replicated. The same haircut, some lovely loose beachy waves, light brown highlights, and voila!
8. Pretty Bed-Head Hairstyle for Thick Hair. If nature gives you a lemon… you know the rest. Find perfection in imperfections. If your hair is not only thick but also unruly, then just go for a flattering messy hairstyle such as this beauty here. Get a shoulder-length cut, use layers to thin out the strands, a little tousle, and your fabulous thick hair will do the rest of the work.
9. Long Hair with Face-Framing Layers. Layered haircuts are a beautiful solution for thick-haired ladies. It is also a low-maintenance option, as texture, volume, and beautiful bounce come effortlessly!
10. Natural Waves for Thick Hair. Dealing with thick coarse hair can be tricky – but finding the right hairstyle will help. These natural-looking waves work wonders in shaping your thick hair into perfection. And remember – a smoothing serum goes a long way.
By Elizabeth Sustaita
11. Platinum Pixie with Lifted Crown. If you prefer short haircuts for thick hair, this stunning pixie could be your top pick. It is elegant and flawless, showing off the neck and shoulders.
12. Shaggy Midi Cut with Piece-y Bangs. Thick medium-length hair makes a pretty combination with piece-y bangs, resulting in a cute shaggy style. It is a hot trend and an easy-to-maintain hairdo!
13. Dark Chocolate Hair. No matter how obsessed we are with unicorn hair, dark brown shades will never go out of style! Haircuts for thick hair look great with razored ends to subtly reduce weight and volume.
14. Soft Messy Bob. Ladies with thick short hair can go for a creative style like this one! Tousled strands and a sophisticated hair color will make you stand out from the crowd.
15. Shag with Curtain Bangs. Wondering if a shag with bangs is a good hairstyle for thick hair? Look at this picture. Can you see the bangs removing weight off her long thick hair? The bangs together with layering make her hair appear less bulky and more weightless. The wispy ends of the layers also help to keep things under easy control.
16. Long Feathered and Blended Layers. Another neat haircut for thick hair. This thick long layered hair with an awesome root fade is a sight for sore eyes. We totally love the way the shaggy layers flip up to form those fanciful waves in her locks. The feathered ends of the blended layers keep the hair from appearing too bulky. A combination of adventure, drama, and sophistication.
17. One-Length Cut with Curtain Bangs. The parted bangs reduce the weight of your thick hair, nicely frame your face, and draw attention to your eyes and forehead. For the best results, keep your hair shoulder-length and the ends shaggy to deliver a nice tousled effect to your thick hair. Subtle highlights or lowlights come in handy here for a more relaxed, fashionable vibe.
By Julie Smith
18. Long Wavy Cut with Textured Ends. Hairstyles for thick hair can be very creative. This style, for instance, features dynamic waves with jagged ends and subtle cherry highlights that will look even more incredible in bright sunlight.
19. Soft Textured Bob. Spice up the classic bob with delicate razored ends for a softer finish.
By Jamie Keiko
20. Long Thick Bob with Balayage. Highlights bring interest to the bottom part of your hair. As your natural color stays at the top, the growing roots will blend into your hairstyle instead of ruining it. Easy to maintain and gorgeous!
21. Long U-Cut with Flowy Layers. You can still flaunt your long thick coarse hair without it looking heavy. Thick long layered hair allows you to wear gorgeous downdos and fancy updos. You get to wear your hair long, showing off your luxuriant mane and enjoying your comfortable beauty. The secret is in the haircut. Ask your stylist for a U-cut with multiple midshaft-to-ends layers.
By Zazzle Salon
22. Silver Textured Bob. Silver hair has been dominating in the trends for a while now – and it will continue to do so! Add urban sophistication to your thick medium length hair with silver shades and tousled waves.
By Linh Phan
23. Silver Bob for Thick Straight Hair. Doesn’t she flaunt this gorgeous silver hair? Choose a silver dye job if you’re looking for something a little different.
By Sal Salcedo
24. Textured Silver Bob. Bob haircuts will never go out of style! Especially when you opt for metallic silver – a trend that’s stronger than ever.
By Garrett Barr
25. Balayage for Coarse Hair. Colors make your hair fun and customize your hairstyles for thick hair. No doubt, one of the best solutions for coarse hair is a hand-painted balayage. This technique suggests applying the color by hand, making the result look natural and fresh.
26. Sassy Waves for Thick Hair. Got a voluminous mane? Embrace it! Cool, sassy waves are the way to go!
By Noora Ahmad
27. Medium Length Hairstyle with Highlights for Thick Hair. Craving for perfect sun-kissed hair? The contrast of colors created by highlights gives depth and dimension to your hair. Match it with some waves for an even more stunning look.
28. Short Layered Pixie. Thinking of cutting your locks very short? Well, we fully support your choice! Not only are short hair cuts easy to manage, but they’re super sophisticated, too.
29. Fiery Multidimensional Bob. Add a touch of fire to your shoulder length hair for a unique look that’ll turn heads!
By Idola Saloon
30. Medium Straight Hairstyle. Got naturally thick straight hair? Then medium haircuts are the way to go. You’ll enjoy some subtle volume without it looking too overwhelming.
By Donovan Mills
31. Dimensional Brunette. Brunette meets blonde! To add intrigue to brown hair, go for a beautiful blonde balayage. It’s a stunning look that’s elegant and easy to maintain.
32. Long Pixie for Thick Hair. Another example of a glamorous longer pixie. Short hairstyles are the right way forward for anyone looking to minimize their styling time. They create an empowering look we just can’t get enough of!
33. Enchanting Waves. If your hair is naturally wavy, let it do its thing (with a little guidance). Ask your stylist for subtle layers on medium hair – and enjoy an easy-to-manage yet gorgeous hairstyle!
By Jessica Warburton
34. Medium Shaggy Hairstyle. Medium hairstyles work great on thick hair – and this is one of our absolute favorites!
By Buddy Porter
35. Pretty Ombre Hairstyle. Want to experiment with another hair color without dyeing your entire head? Ombre is the way to go! Creating an illusion of naturally sun-kissed hair, ombre looks stunning.
By Ashley Lewis
36. Contrasting Soft Waves. A chic hairstyle that’s just perfect for thick hair. The highlights will make your hair look great even if you’re running late and need to skip shampoo!
37. Gorgeous Waves on Long Hair. There’s nothing we love more than soft waves! If your locks are naturally wavy, this layered hairstyle will help create an interesting, elegant look.
38. Soft Textured A-Line. Are you looking for a hairstyle you can easily manage – but are not willing to chop it all off? Go for a soft, textured A-line.
By Buddy Porter
39. Wavy Shag with Curtain Bangs. Haircuts for thick wavy hair provide a variety of styling options. This ash-platinum shag gives us strong elven vibes, especially in combination with pale complexion.
40. Asymmetrical Lob. And if you’re after an edgier cut, ask your stylist for an asymmetrical lob. Unique, stylish, and youthful – do we need to say more!?
41. Luscious Long Locks. Want to know the secret of making your long hair look modern? Razored ends, layers, and balayage.
By Donovan Mills
42. Straight Blunt Bob. We love the mid-length bob because it creates a balanced hairstyle that complements almost any face shape (even round faces – once it’s below the jawline)!
43. Razored Textured Bob. Are you not into the blunt cut? A razored and textured bob is a great alternative!
44. Balayage and Swoopy Layers. Your thick long hair will only benefit if you decide to add some details to your natural color. Pro tip: balayage, ombre, or contrasting highlights look amazing with a layered cut!
45. Stacked Voluminous Lob. A long bob is definitely one of the cuts that can complement thick hair. Style it with a blow dryer and a round brush for long-lasting volume.
46. Beachy Blonde Waves. A beautiful balayage comes to life when combined with beachy waves!
47. Subtle Layers. We can’t get enough of these effortless waves! Add lighter tones for a simple yet sophisticated look.
By Anh Co Tran
48. Beautiful Bangs. If there’s one thing we’re obsessed with right now, it’s face-framing bangs. Check out this glamorous hairstyle with a cool fringe!
By Sal Salcedo
49. Beautiful Layers. Ah, aren’t these luscious locks simply gorgeous? Remember that layered haircuts are a fantastic way to shape long hair, and reduce some of the volume and thickness.
50. A-line Bob for Thick Locks. While shaggy layers are a great way to add shape and movement, the classic A-line cut can be just as flattering!
We hope this extensive list of haircuts for thick hair has provided plenty of inspiration for your next hairstyle. There are so many wonderful hairstyles to choose from – whether you prefer classier, timeless looks or trendy, edgier styles. We’ve incorporated hairstyles for those looking to do the big chop to make their hair more manageable, as well as those who want to breathe new life into their luscious, long locks. We hope you’ll enjoy experimenting with your thick hair this year – and remember that wearing it with confidence is key!
What is the trend hair cut for 2022? ›
"I predict that short bobs with or without bangs for straight hair will be big for 2022," Fekkai says. Selena Gomez is clearly leading the charge, recently returning to the classic chin-length look. The sliced bob is another take on the trend stylists love — that version is a tiny bit longer in the front.Does thick hair look better long or short? ›
"If you have thicker hair, then you want it to be just a little bit longer. If you have a really nice wave to your hair, you want to accentuate that because when you're cutting it you're removing a lot of the weight, and what the weight does is it enhances your natural texture."Should I get layers with thick hair? ›
If your hair is fine and thick, layers will help reduce weight and add movement. If it's fine and thin, light layers might be preferred, to keep as much hair as possible. Coarse, thick hair is typically very layer-friendly and frequently preferred.What is the new 2022 short haircut? ›
Pixie cut. The Pixie haircut, which is very short and peaked, with the sides neatly trimmed and the back of the neck, is a great bet for next year. It ensures an extremely modern and stylish look, and suits all hair types, whether straight, wavy, curly or frizzy.What is the best haircut for a 65 year old woman? ›
A medium-length shag is the best haircut for older women in their 60s with wavy hair. It looks flattering with the bangs and would allow someone to appear a decade younger. This chop is most ideal for wavy locks, too. The shag has layers that can enhance the movement of medium hair.What is the best length for thick hair? ›
A medium-length is perfect for straight thick hair as it's the right balance between long hair being dragged down and a short bob becoming too wide. A shoulder-length cut for thick hair can be kept one length. It can also have some invisible layers or texture through the ends to give your hair some swing.What is the best haircut for a 70 year old woman? ›
A textured short pixie cut is one of the best hairstyles for women over 70 because it boosts volume and is easy to style. It's the perfect go-to hairstyle for women with thin and fine tresses.Should I cut my hair short if my hair is thick? ›
“If you have thick, coarse or frizzy hair my advice is to avoid cutting your hair too short.” This type of hair is even more prone to frizz post-cut. If your tresses need a bit of love your hairdresser can help work out a style that will work best for you.What is a good hair length for over 50? ›
Medium-length hairstyles for 50-year-old women are a great option by lifting the length to below the shoulder. This can make the tresses look thicker, and it's versatile enough to wear up or down. To maximize this length, add some beach waves to widen the appearance of the hair and add a youthful softness.How can I make my thick hair look thinner? ›
How to Thin Out Thick Hair - TheSalonGuy - YouTube
How do you style thick layered hair? ›
How To Style Medium Layered Hair At Home - YouTubeWhat haircut should I get if I have thick wavy hair? ›
A long bob is a great hairstyle for thick and wavy hair types, as a cut with lots of layers looks like it's full of volume and natural body. To get the look, be sure to ask your stylist for a long bob that sits right at the collarbone.What is the most low maintenance haircut? ›
The most low-maintenance haircuts are very short haircuts like pixies and cuts with long layers that make styling easy and don't require a ton of salon maintenance. While you'll still need to see your stylist every few months to keep your cut looking its best, you can go longer between appointments.What causes extremely thick hair? ›
Hair follicles come in different shapes and sizes, affecting hair texture and width. Some people have wider follicles-and therefore, thicker hair strands-than other people. Genetics influence hair thickness, but other factors like hormones and age are important factors, too.How do you keep long thick hair healthy? ›
- GO SUDS-FREE. ...
- KEEP LONG HAIR WELL-CONDITIONED. ...
- USE DRY SHAMPOO TO AVOID OVER-SHAMPOOING. ...
- MASSAGE THE SCALP FOR HEALTHY FOLLICLES. ...
- STAY TANGLE-FREE. ...
- INVEST IN A GOOD BRUSH – AND BRUSH WELL. ...
- CUT LONG HAIR FOR HEALTH. ...
- LONG HAIR CUTS.
An undercut pixie is one of the best age-defying short hairstyles for women over 50. Tousled long pixie hairstyles have this youthful appeal and sassiness females over 50 are looking for. Sweep the bangs to any side for a chic effect.What hairstyle suits a chubby face? ›
What hairstyle suits a chubby face? Choppy, Lob, long bob, shaggy bob, face-framing haircuts are great option for round faces. Longer length helps to draw attention from the jawline and balance the width of a round face.Why do older ladies have short hair? ›
Long answer: lots of reasons. Hair gets thinner as you get older , often to the point of bald patches for many women. And grey hair doesn't only alter the colour but changes the texture of the hair. After menopause the hair often becomes dry and life less.What haircuts makes you look younger? ›
- 01 of 14. Lightly Layered Bob. Vera Anderson/Getty Images. ...
- 02 of 14. Layered Cut with Fringe. @salsalhair. ...
- 03 of 14. Shaggy Curly Cut. ...
- 04 of 14. Side-Swept Bangs. ...
- 05 of 14. Relaxed Chin Bob. ...
- 06 of 14. Super Pixie. ...
- 07 of 14. Stylish Pixie Cut. ...
- 08 of 14. Straight Chin-Length Bob.
For older women hairstyles, you can go for a universal short cut like a classy bob or a rocking pixie which are easier to manage and volumize, or opt to keep your long tresses and sport a chic fringe if you have a more playful attitude and want to go above the average.
How can I look good at 65? ›
- 7 Anti-Aging Tricks that Every Woman Over 60 Should Know. ...
- Wear a Genuine Smile. ...
- Spend Time with Young People. ...
- Burn Fat the Old Fashion Way – By Walking! ...
- Embrace Your Passions. ...
- Stop Helping the Clock by Smoking and Spending Time in the Sun. ...
- Give Your Skin What it Really Needs – Water and Nutritious Food.
Long straight hair
While many people associate long hair with youth, keeping your hair long and stick straight can actually make you look older than you are. Pin-straight hair puts your face front and center—including all those little lines you're trying to obscure.
How To Find The BEST Hairstyle For Your Face Shape | Alex CostaShould a 70 year old woman wear bangs? ›
Bangs are great for older women because they can take years off your look, and they bring attention to your best features. However, they can be high-maintenance because unless you're handy with a pair of scissors, you have to get them cut every few weeks.What is considered thick hair for a woman? ›
To find out your hair's density, take a front section of your hair and pull it to the side. If you can visibly see sections of your scalp underneath or through the hair, then your hair is thin. If you barely see your scalp at all, your hair is thick. If it's somewhere in-between, then your hair has a medium density.What is a good hairstyle for a 75 year old woman? ›
- Posh Braided Low Bun. ...
- Midi Bob With Layered, Flipped Ends. ...
- Sleek and Sassy Side-Swept Pixie. ...
- Short Layered Bob With Blunt Bangs. ...
- Razored Bob With Bangs and Face-Framing Layers. ...
- Swoop Bangs With Boosted Volume. ...
- Root Volume With Bangs and Flipped Ends.
Be True to Your Style
Although many ladies go with shorter styles as they age, there's no reason senior ladies' hairstyles can't be long. Be true to your style, and choose cuts and styling methods that are flattering for your hair type for a beautiful look.
- Letting Your Hair Get Too Long.
- Going To Dark.
- Going Too Light.
- Using Too Many Products.
- Ignoring Damage.
- Not Embracing Gray.
Significantly, the ban applies on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. In addition, on auspicious days like a festival or Puja, you should not cut hair.Is it better to cut thick hair wet or dry? ›
Hairdressers opt for a wet haircut to avoid having to work around the natural movement of your hair when it's dry, which can make achieving blunt, smooth cuts a little more difficult.
Should thick hair be cut wet or dry? ›
For most textures, Tripodi actually recommends trimming hair while it's slightly damp. "If it's towel-dried and a lot of moisture is taken out of the hair, but you can still see its natural texture, that's a generally good time to cut it," she explains.Does long hair age you or make you look younger? ›
For older women, keeping your hair youthful (without trying to look too young) will make you look and feel younger. Long hair can make you feel youthful. If your hair is very healthy and shiny, long hair shows it off. There are many ways to wear long hair, including braids, ponytails, upsweeps and more.What is the best hairstyle for a 50 year old woman 2022? ›
Blunt bobs and lobs give hair a sleek and healthy look with minimal styling—meaning less heat tools and styling products that could contribute to buildup and damage. If you love your length and aren't looking to make a big chop, long layers with face-framing pieces in the front are perfect for long, straight hair.Is 55 too old for long hair? ›
Just because you're a certain age doesn't mean an entire hairstyle is officially off limits. It's totally possible to rock long hair over 50 — even with glasses.Why is my hair so thick and poofy? ›
The weather – When the weather outside is humid, and your hair isn't adequately moisturized, your hair cuticles swell up and begin to change in shape, creating poofiness. Also, on a windy day, when the wind blows your hair, it can separate your curls and create a poofy look.Is having thick hair good? ›
Thicker strands of hair are more likely to have a defect, making them more prone to breakage, the researchers believe. Lustrous, thick hair may be desirable but it is not necessarily the strongest. Scientists said thin hair tends to be stronger than thicker locks, after looking at the way they break.Do layers make hair look thinner? ›
"Layers tend to remove weight and can make hair look thinner. Long layers will remove just the right amount of weight to add volume at the root while keeping density throughout."Is a lob good for thick hair? ›
"A blunt, one-length lob is a chic and strong statement for those who want to make one," says Virtue ambassador and celebrity stylist Rena Calhoun. "Keeping a bit more length past the shoulders can also be a great option for those with thick hair. The extra length and weight helps to keep hair calm and controlled."› beauty › thickening-hairstyle... ›
9 Hairstyles to Make Hair Look Thicker
15 Best Styles For Thin Hair - Haircuts To Make Thin Hair Look Thicker
haircut for thin hair to look THICKER
Is short hair better for thick hair? If you have thick hair, you can go with a short haircut since it can help to remove some weight. At the same time, if you have a curl or wave to your hair, you might want to incorporate layers since this will lend shape to your cut and avoid having it appear too boxy.
How do you make thick hair not look thicker? ›
How to Thin Out Thick Hair - TheSalonGuy - YouTubeHow do you style thick hair? ›
How to Style Thick Hair - TheSalonGuy - YouTubeHow do I make my hair less thick and frizzy? ›
- Give Your Hair a Cold Water Rinse. ...
- Opt for a Conditioning Shampoo. ...
- Use a Microfiber Towel or Cotton T-Shirt to Dry Hair. ...
- Detangle Hair With a Wide-Tooth Comb. ...
- Use a Blow Dryer With Ionic Technology. ...
- Hair Serums are Key for Removing Frizz. ...
- Use a Hair Mask to Nourish Hair and Get Rid of Frizz.
Using Thinning Shears. Purchase a pair of thinning shears. Thinning shears are often used by stylists in salons, and look like scissors with a thick, serrated edge. They are designed to cut about 15% of the hair, resulting in hair that still holds its shape and style but has less volume and density.What is the new 2022 short haircut? ›
Pixie cut. The Pixie haircut, which is very short and peaked, with the sides neatly trimmed and the back of the neck, is a great bet for next year. It ensures an extremely modern and stylish look, and suits all hair types, whether straight, wavy, curly or frizzy.Is it better to cut thick hair wet or dry? ›
Hairdressers opt for a wet haircut to avoid having to work around the natural movement of your hair when it's dry, which can make achieving blunt, smooth cuts a little more difficult.Should thick hair be cut wet or dry? ›
For most textures, Tripodi actually recommends trimming hair while it's slightly damp. "If it's towel-dried and a lot of moisture is taken out of the hair, but you can still see its natural texture, that's a generally good time to cut it," she explains.How can I make my thick hair look thinner without cutting it? ›
Try a shampoo formulated for thick hair to give your hair a thinner look. Straighten your hair. Using a flat iron on your hair can make your hair appear much thinner as well as more manageable and smooth. To do this, wash your hair, then towel dry and apply any hair products.Is having thick hair good? ›
Thicker strands of hair are more likely to have a defect, making them more prone to breakage, the researchers believe. Lustrous, thick hair may be desirable but it is not necessarily the strongest. Scientists said thin hair tends to be stronger than thicker locks, after looking at the way they break.Why is my hair so thick and poofy? ›
The weather – When the weather outside is humid, and your hair isn't adequately moisturized, your hair cuticles swell up and begin to change in shape, creating poofiness. Also, on a windy day, when the wind blows your hair, it can separate your curls and create a poofy look.